Adults and Children 6 years of age and older:
One spray to the throat area, up to 3 times per day. Spit out excess liquid. Rinsing is not necessary. Supervise use with children. Speak to a healthcare professional if symptoms do not improve or worsen after 7 days.
WARNINGS: Small amounts may be swallowed. If accidentally swallowed in large amounts, contact your healthcare professional or hospital immediately. Do not use if you are allergic to any ingredient, have any type of thyroid disorder, if you are pregnant or breast-feeding, or are using hydrogen peroxide. Do not use in children under 6 years of age unless advised by a physician. Consult a healthcare professional immediately if an allergic reaction such as redness, irritation, swelling, itching, or rash occurs. Dentures or braces can sometimes become discoloured – remove if possible before use. Avoid contact with jewellery, especially silver.
Do not use if outer box is opened.
Keep out of the reach of children.
Active Ingredient: 0.45% Povidone Iodine
Non-medicinal ingredients: Citric acid monohydrate, glycerine, potassium iodide, water.
Store at 15ºC to 25ºC.
Respond immediately to the first signs of throat discomfort.
One spray into the back of the throat every 3 to 4 hours as needed, to a maximum of 3 sprays per day.
Frequently Asked Questions
More than 80% of sore throats are caused by viruses. Bacteria are the next most common type of germs that cause sore throats.
These viruses and bacteria can be passed on via direct contact (e.g., touching an object that has the virus on it), airborne transmission (e.g., when someone coughs or sneezes) and close personal contact (e.g., kissing).
A sore throat can be caused by different types of germs. Therefore, it is good to use a preparation that targets different types and classes of germs.
Viruses are tiny particles that rely on human or animal cells for their survival, so they cannot last very long outside the body. They cause illnesses by invading healthy cells and multiplying.
Bacteria are single cell organisms usually found in and on our bodies. Some bacteria are harmless – and can even be good for us – and some cause infections.
Salt-water gargle is considered a home remedy that contains salt only. But salt water has no effect on viruses, the main cause of sore throats.
BETADINE® Sore Throat Gargle can actually help treat the viral, bacterial and fungal infections of the mouth or throat. With a 30-second gargle, BETADINE® helps treat infections that can cause sore throats. Individual response varies*.
* For further information, please check with your doctor or pharmacist.
Since most sore throats are caused by germs, there are steps that you can take to prevent getting an infection:
- Wash your hands regularly with soap.
- Practice proper hand-and-throat hygiene.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands, as germs can enter your body this way and make you sick.
- Try to keep some distance from those who are ill, as germs can spread.
No, BETADINE® Sore Throat Gargle and BETADINE® Sore Throat Spray do not stain the teeth. The natural brown colour is due to povidone-iodine, the active
ingredient of BETADINE® Sore Throat Gargle and BETADINE® Sore Throat Spray. The product, unlike iodine, is generally non-staining.
BETADINE® Sore Throat Gargle and BETADINE® Sore Throat Spray preparations do not stain the skin, fingernails, hair, or natural fibre either. If you accidentally get BETADINE® Sore Throat Gargle or BETADINE® Sore Throat Spray on natural fibres, it can usually be easily washed off with water and soap. For man-made fibres, BETADINE® Sore Throat Gargle and BETADINE® Sore Throat Spray can usually be washed off with the help of a stain remover.
CAUTION: Immediately remove spills from plastic floors. Dentures or braces can sometimes become discoloured. It is recommended to remove dentures and braces, if removable, from the mouth before use. Avoid contact with jewellery, especially silver containing articles.
The active ingredient in BETADINE® Sore Throat Gargle and BETADINE® Sore Throat Spray, povidone-iodine, is naturally a golden-brown colour.
A small amount may be swallowed during gargling. If accidentally swallowed in large amounts, consult your doctor immediately.
If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, if you have an allergy to iodine, or any type of thyroid disorder.